This easy, family-friendly dish is a wonderful combination of healthy, lean protein and antioxidant rich veggies with the carrot, onion and red pepper. You can serve this on whole grains buns, or I like it served over brown rice or quinoa.
1 onion, chopped
1 carrot, chopped
1/2 red pepper, chopped
1 lb. ground turkey
1 15 oz. can tomato sauce
1/4 cup natural-brand BBQ sauce
pepper to taste
1. Sauté onions, carrot, green pepper and ground turkey or chicken in a pan over medium-high heat for 5 minutes.
2. Add tomato sauce, BBQ sauce and seasonings and bring to a boil.
3. Reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
4. Uncover and cook for an additional 3 minutes or until thick
5. Serve on toasted buns or over cooked brown rice or quinoa