Contributed by Lisa Plum
How often have you eaten a snack without thinking about it?
How often has this happened when you’ve been sat at your desk?
Office workers are one of the groups most susceptible to eating too much, and moving too little. Office workers tend to lead sedentary lifestyles, which means they gain weight as their working lives progress. But being overweight can really hurt your career. Fox Business recently reported that overweight executives and those with higher body mass index readings were often looked at as less effective in their job both from a performance and interpersonal relationship perspective. Steve Siebold, a consultant to Fortune 500 companies and author of Die Fat or Get Tough: 101 Differences in Thinking Between Fat People and Fit People believes that in addition to being perceived as ineffectual, Siebold says employers are also concerned that obese people will be sick more often, which will result in lost productivity and higher healthcare costs. This is why weight loss is so important if you work in an office, and want to progress your career. So if you have one eye on your dream job you need to focus on how you look, as well as on how good you are at the role! But weight loss takes more than just deciding to cut back the calories. You also need support, advice, and a positive mental attitude. Here are a few tips to avoid gaining weight if you work in an office. If you’re already carrying a few extra pounds, these tips will also help you lose some of your excess weight and return to a happier, healthier you.
Five Simple Steps
1. Avoid the calorie laden treats available at your local sandwich shop or fast food restaurant and take your own lunch to the office with you instead. There are plenty of delicious recipes for healthy salads or sandwiches that you can make at home and take to your office with you, and it may even save you some money at the same time! It’s an easy and delicious way to reduce your daily calorie intake fast. A McDonalds Big Mac contains 550 calories and 29 grams of fat. However a tasty Premium Caesar Salad with Grilled Chicken contains 190 calories and 5 grams of fat.
2. One of the main reasons office workers tend to snack at their desks is boredom. When you’re focusing on your computer screen you can eat a snack without even noticing you’ve done it! So rather than lifting another candy bar to your mouth, find something else to do with your hands instead. Solo.co.uk provide a great selection of corporate toys and gifts, such as puzzles or executive yoyos that are a great, calorie-free, distraction. According to The Huffington Post, bad nutrition (such as mindless snacking) leads to bad national productivity. So as well as being good for your waistline, distracting your hands away from snacking would be good for your workload too!
3. Reflect on what you want to achieve from your weight loss and visualize yourself achieving it. Having a target will help keep you motivated. Whether its that new business suit in a size smaller than you wear now or running around after your kids in the park think about how you will look and feel when you achieve your goal. It will also make you more determined to say no when your boss brings donuts to your staff meeting.
4. Approximately 67% of Americans eat their lunch at their desk. But you should take time to eat your lunch or any office snacks. Turn off your computer if possible, so you can really think about what you’re eating. When you pay attention to each bite of food, and truly enjoy the flavors, textures and how it sits in your stomach, you experience food in a way that becomes more savored and meaningful. You’re also more able to decide when you’re full, and you’ll quickly find your portions and calorie intake will decrease.
5. Finally, take the opportunity to feel more energized and accelerate your weight loss by exercising whenever possible. If you can take a lunch break then why not go for a jog or join an aerobics class. You’ll be amazed by how much more invigorated you feel during your afternoon at work if you do!